Our client is an Indian multinational conglomerate with operations in over 100 countries across the globe. With a turnover exceeding USD 10 billion, the group has more than 150,000 employees worldwide.
As part of the overall brand communication strategy of the client, a social portal was conceived to enable crowd sourcing of ideas and compete for monthly grants. Since the site was seeking to elicit and promote social media participation, it was imperative to get it right and integrate properly through social media hooks such as simple sign-in; voting; missed calls.
PennyWise engineered a web portal for people to submit socially relevant ideas & projects from all over India. On the website, project owners could seek out volunteers, funds, equipment and expertise. A robust voting system was implemented through which users could vote from via the website or even through SMS or missed calls. The client could use popular opinion to identify top projects and either sponsor grants (awarded monthly & in a grand finale) or assign mentors to execute the idea successfully. Furthermore, to promote user sign up and buzz, a number of third party social media tools were integrated such as login support using Facebook and Twitter handles; Facebook ‘Likes’; live data feed updates from Facebook and Twitter; image galleries from Flickr and so on.
- Automatically merging duplicate project information and thereby, avoiding loss of social media momentum.
- Identifying duplicate votes through technology and normalizing votes to avoid false winners.
- Seamlessly handling users having Facebook, Twitter or direct accounts through the same email ID.
- The website has been widely acclaimed by the press and award circles.
- The client could successfully position itself as a catalyst for social change and thereby enhance its brand value positively.
Products and services used
- ZipDial (for missed calls & SMS voting)
- Hungama SMS Service Provider (for missed calls & SMS voting)